There are many reasons to love the sport of boating – it can be relaxing, exciting, entertaining and even rejuvenating. But hauling a boat on a trailer and launching it at a busy Florida launch ramp can have its challenges. In fact, it can be downright stressful and dangerous and is often wrought with mishaps.
It’s not too early to start getting your boat trailer in tip-top shape. To help make sure you can haul your boat to its destination and into the water smoothly, check out this basic trailering checklist from discoverboating.com.
Before you tow your boat trailer, be sure:
- Coupler, hitch and hitch ball are of the same size
- Coupler and safety chains are safely secured to the hitch of the tow vehicle
- All fasteners are properly tightened
- Boat is securely tied down to trailer (winch line is not a tie down)
- Wheel lug nuts are properly tightened
- Wheel bearings are properly adjusted and maintained
- Load is within maximum load carrying capacity
- Tires are properly inflated
- All trailer lighting is working properly
- Trailer brakes are properly adjusted and working (if trailer is so equipped)
- Brakes and additional equipment meet all local and state requirements
At Business & Auto Ins Specialist, Inc., we want your boating adventures to be enjoyed on the water instead of experienced with frustration on the boat ramp or on the road.
Happy hauling! A few more pieces of advice…
- Before you’re out there towing and floating, take a look at your current boat and trailer insurance policies. Check with us to be sure your coverage is adequate and that your policies are up to date and renewed.
- Upgraded your boat or trailer recently? If so, talk to us about your coverage and limits to be certain your coverage is sufficient.
- Be sure both your boat and trailer policy liability limits are adequate. Just one accident involving a boat can result in extensive damage and serious injuries.
For further questions and assistance, please contact Business & Auto Ins Specialist, Inc. at 386-328-4898 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Business & Auto Ins Specialist, Inc.: Service After The Sale.
Content provided by: Safeco Insurance